Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cookie Monster




Is it normal for an almost-39-week pregnant woman to have such an intense craving for homemade chocolate chip cookies that even though she is exhausted, decides to whip up a batch on a Sunday afternoon? That's what I did today. The Hub even offered to go out and buy me some sweet treat, but I knew only warm chocolate chip cookies and a glass of cold milk would do. There's probably about 10 other things I should be doing, such as resting, or setting up the pack 'n play, or organizing something.

I do love to bake. In fact, I love to bake a million times more than cooking, to be honest. I think it's also a calming mechanism for me. A few days before my wedding, I decided I would make a nice dinner for my parents (I was living at home at the time) and decided to also make an apple pie from scratch. I had never made a pie before, and I know my mom thought I was nuts to take on such a task right before the wedding, but it did help me with my stress.

Unfortunately, I think the baking may have to take more of a backseat very soon because I don't think an infant is conducive to that hobby, plus I have over 35 pounds of baby weight to lose! I've already eaten 3 of these cookies today, and I imagine that might push the weight up just a bit more. Can't wait to get weighed tomorrow at my doctor's appointment!

This recipe is adapted from David Lebovitz's The Great Book of Chocolate!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen

1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (120 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) (115 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips (note - I did not have enough semi-sweet chips, so I added some milk and dark chocolate to make up the difference)
1 cup (130 grams) walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped

Adjust the oven rack to the top third of the oven and preheat to 300F (150C). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.

Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts. Put the dough in the fridge for at least 30 min, preferably longer so you don't end up with a flat cookie.

Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.

Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days (if they last that long!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment