Friday, January 1, 2010

Cake Boss Wanna-Be







Happy New Year, Internet!

I was not nursing a hangover this New Year's Day because I am 31 1/2 weeks pregnant, but I did enjoy sleeping in this morning. The child also slept in until 9 (!) which was a gift unto itself, especially since she has been getting over a nasty cough/cold. So today we are headed to an aunt's for some traditional New Year's Roast Pork and I offered to bring a birthday cake for J because the whole family will be together and her birthday falls on 1/5. I feel a little bad lumping her birthday into New Year's, but I figure she's too little to know any better. :)

So my project for this morning involved making a Minnie Mouse-inspired cake. As you can see, this was a very amateur effort. Basically, I used 2 boxes of cake mix and made two cakes in 9-inch pans (4 altogether). One cake turned into the "face" and the other, I cut in half for the "ears." If I ever have to do this again, I would probably just invest in some smaller cake pans b/c icing the "ears" was pretty annoying. I used some pink fondant icing from a tube from AC Moore, and made Minnie's bow with those fruit slice jelly candy. The Minnie image is actually stickers that I just laid on top of the icing - not edible! If I ever have more time (ha!) I will play around with fondant. Cake Boss, I am not! I think my soon-to-be 3-year-old will like this regardless.

1 comment: