Friday, January 29, 2010

Nesting Mode


I am 35 1/2 weeks and counting and now that we have a new chest freezer in the basement, I no longer have an excuse to delay making up some meals in preparation for #2's arrival. Wednesday I decided to make Cooking Light's Ground Turkey Chili, found here. This is a staple in my house. I doubled it so I have enough for 3 dinners. I also decided to make cornbread, however I didn't look to make sure I had cornmeal in my pantry... so instead I had buttermilk and melted butter, but no cornmeal. This is typical of me. So I improvised and made an Irish Soda Bread instead.
I also decided to jump on the Marcella Hazan bandwagon of late and make her Simple Tomato Sauce, which I read about here. It is almost too simple that is seems impossible that it could taste good. Butter, canned whole tomatoes, and an onion. The verdict: I really liked it. It almost reminded me of the pizza sauce on Bertucci's pizza. It was very light, yet flavorful. The hub thought it missed something, like basil or some seasoning.

Next on the cooking front will be Bolognese sauce & meatballs. (Yes, I'm Italian) Although the thought of making meatballs nauseates me right now, so I may have to recruit the hub.
It's really true about the end of pregnancy and the overwhelming urge one has to get things in order. I have a big list for this weekend, which includes packing my hospital bag, getting the carseat ready and out of the attic, etc. Now that the Big Girl Room is complete, I have to make sure the nursery is in order for the new occupant!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to meet #2! Hope there's room in that freezer for some meals from me!

    I can't believe your husband didn't like Marcella's sauce!?!

    ReplyDelete